Frequently Asked Questions


The OSTİM Technical University Erasmus + Coordination Office announces application calls every year in February-March for determining the students who want to benefit from mobility for the next year. These announcements, published on our office's website, are also announced with posters on department boards. After the announcement is made, you can apply according to the principles specified in the announcement. 


Can associate degree students benefit from the Erasmus+ student exchange program? 

  Yes. Associate degree, undergraduate, master's, and doctoral students can benefit from the Erasmus+ student exchange program. 


What is the academic recognition document? What is it used for? 

  The academic recognition document shows which courses you took at the university you visited correspond to which courses at your own university. It is a document that guarantees the acceptance of the courses you have taken after returning. Fill out this document with your coordinator. This document must be approved by the Graduate School, Faculty, Academy, and Vocational School administrations and then submitted to the student affairs department. 


When will I receive the Erasmus+ Grant after being selected as an Erasmus+ student? 

  You will receive 80% of the Erasmus+ Grant just before going on the exchange, and the remaining 20% after completing your education as an Erasmus+ student, returning, completing the necessary documents, and submitting them to the Erasmus+ Office. 


How much Erasmus+ Grant can I receive? 

  The monthly grant amount you will receive at the host university varies from country to country, but this amount may not be sufficient to cover all your needs. You can learn about the grant amount for the country you will go to from the Grants menu on the Erasmus+ Office website. 


What is Erasmus+ study mobility? 

  Erasmus+ study mobility is an activity where students of higher education instituitions contuct their studies for one or two semesters at an affiliated higher education institution in an EU member state. For the mobility activity to be carried out, your department must have an Erasmus+ University Charter (EUC) and an Erasmus+ Bilateral Agreement with the relevant department at a higher education institution that is the holder of the Erasmus+ University Charter in an EU member state. 


What is the aim of Erasmus+ study mobility? 

  The aim of the program is to increase the quality of higher education in Europe and strengthen its European dimension. The Erasmus+ program aims to achieve this goal by promoting interuniversity cooperation between countries, facilitating the mutual exchange of students and educators in Europe, and contributing to the academic recognition and transparency of studies and qualifications obtained in the participating countries. Graduates who receive higher quality education in Europe will be individuals who are more equipped and responsive to the expectations of the business world. 


What does the Erasmus+ Program offer? 

  The Erasmus+ Program provides you with the opportunity to gain international experience, learn in a multicultural environment, get to know different cultures, introduce Turkish culture, make new friends, be a student in a different school, and see a different system. 


How long can I stay abroad within the Erasmus+ Program? 

  Erasmus+ study mobility can be a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months. The duration of the exchange is determined by the Institutional Erasmus+ Bilateral Agreements. Study mobility activities that last less than 3 months are not covered by Erasmus+ and are not funded. 


Who can benefit from Erasmus+ study mobility? 

  Associate, undergraduate, master's, and doctoral students enrolled full-time at a higher education institution can benefit from Erasmus+ study mobility. 


I'm in my first year. Can I benefit from Erasmus+? 

  No. However, you can apply in your first year and benefit from mobility for the second year. 


I am a disabled student, are the conditions the same for me? 

  When evaluating participation criteria for the Erasmus+ program, our disabled students are definitely not at a disadvantage in terms of evaluation or receiving grants. On the contrary, they have more advantages. 


I have a course I need to retake. Can I benefit from Erasmus+ Study Mobility? 

  Yes. Having such a course does not prevent students who achieve the minimum academic average from being Erasmus+ students. 


What happens if I take 5 courses at the university I go to and pass 3 of them but fail 2? 

  After returning, the student retakes the failed courses at their own university. 


Will the technical and social opportunities available to me be the same as those of the students at the university I am visiting? 

  Yes. The host university is obliged not to discriminate against Erasmus+ students. For example, you can benefit equally from laboratory facilities. 


Can I go to any university in Europe as an Erasmus+ student? 

  No, there must be a Bilateral Agreement (Bilateral Agreement) related to your program or department with your department,vocational school, or graduate school. You can find out whether there is an agreement related to your department or program and, if so, with which country or university it is on the Erasmus+ Office website or in the bilateral agreements section of the Office's website. 


Is the Erasmus+ program a foreign language course? 

The Erasmus+ program is not a foreign language course; it is an exchange program for higher education students. For this reason, the necessary language level must be achieved before going abroad. The language of instruction of the university you will go to and the required language level are shown in the relevant announcements. You can take the exam from the relevant language department at our university or from a recognized institution. 


 Can I take a foreign language course to learn the language of the country I am going to? 

If the institution you are going to offers a language course, we recommend that you take advantage of this opportunity. 


What is a Bilateral Agreement? 

It is an agreement signed by two universities in two different countries as part of the Erasmus+ program, committing to the exchange of students and/or teaching staff for a period of one year or longer. 


How are bilateral agreements made? 

  In order to carry out the mobility activity, your department must have an Erasmus+ Bilateral Agreement with the relevant department in a higher education institution with Erasmus+ University Charter (EÜB) in a European Union member country. Bilateral agreements are signed between the departments of the universities by the authorized persons of the universities with the content that a certain number of students will be exchange students for a certain period of time. Universities request grants for their total bilateral agreement capacity. The grant requestare evaluated at the beginning of the academic year by looking at the university's performance in the previous year and its own budgetary possibilities, and is met as far as possible. Bilateral agreements are implemented to the extent the institution afford. 

However, no agreement can be intended for a specific student. Every agreement is a ground for exchange on behalf of the institution and is open to the benefit of all students. 


My Department/Faculty does not have a Bilateral Agreement. What can I do? 

If your department/faculty does not have an Erasmus+ Bilateral Agreement, please contact your Erasmus+ department/faculty coordinator before the application deadline. 


Can I make a Bilateral Agreement as a student? 

No, the correspondence for bilateral agreements must be made by the department / school / graduate school coordinators and / or lecturers working at the university. Requests from students will not be taken into consideration by the universities. 

Can I benefit from Erasmus+ study mobility activities as part of the agreements of another higher education institution? 


No, each student can only participate in Erasmus+ mobility activities through his or her own higher education institution. 

Can I benefit from the Erasmus+ program personally, without the involvement of my university? 


No, you cannot. The Erasmus+ program is an institutional activity. You can only benefit from the Erasmus+ program through the higher education institution where you are a student or staff member. 

How important are foreign language skills in student mobility? 


Students going abroad as an Erasmus+ student should have a certain level of foreign language skills. This may not necessarily be the language of the host country. The English language is largely a unifying language within European countries. However, it is also possible to be required to know the language of instruction at the receiving school. 

The student must be able to speak English or the language of the receiving country well enough to fulfill the requirements of Erasmus+ study or internship mobility. Before starting the activity, it is necessary to know which language or languages are accepted in the destination institution. 

What should I do if I am on the reserve list? 

  Wait for the placement of the main students. If there are any vacancies left after the placement of the main students, the reserve students are given a chance. 


I was selected as a two-semester student, but I want to go for one semester. Can I choose to go for a single semester? 

You have the right to make such a change of preference. 


Can I change my preference? 

  In order for students to change their preferences, there must be vacancies. As long as there are vacancies, the petition approved and signed by the department coordinator and the student's justification must be accepted by the Erasmus+ Institution Coordination Office. 


For various reasons, I don't want to go. What should I do? 

In order not to cause the students who are designated as RESERVE to lose their rights, please apply to the Erasmus+ Office at least 2-3 months before the exchange period by submitting a petition stating your situation to your department coordinator. 


There is a "Diploma / Degree for which you are currently studying" question on the application form. How should I answer it? 

  You should write BA if you are an undergraduate student, MA if you are a Master's student, PhD if you are a PhD student. 


There is a section on the application form that needs to be signed by the "Departmental Coordinator". Who do I need to get it signed? 

  You should write the name of your departmental coordinator and get his or her signature. 


How do I choose the courses I will take during the Erasmus+ study mobility period? 

  A Learning Agreement (3 originals, one for the student, one for the Erasmus+ Office and one for the destination institution) is signed with the department coordinator before each student's study abroad. The names and ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits of the courses that the student will take at the destination institution are written in the Learning Agreement. The list of courses can be obtained from the receiving university. The course list is downloaded from the web page of the receiving university and the selection is made together with the department coordinator. The Learning Agreement must have the signatures of the Erasmus+ department coordinator and Erasmus+ institution coordinator of both institutions as well as the student and the seal of both institutions. Before the student goes abroad, the Learning Agreement signed by all parties must be submitted to our Office. 

 Changes to be made to the study agreement for various reasons must be made within 1 month at the latest following the start of the academic semester at the student's own higher education institution and must be approved by the authorities of the student's own higher education institution and the student's receiving higher education institution. 


Is there a specific number of courses I need to take at the host institution? 

Equivalent courses are determined at the host higher education institution for the courses the student is required to take at their home university in Türkiye, and the recognition of the courses taken is secured and documented through the Learning Agreement signed between the student, their home institution, and the host institution before the start of the exchange period. It is not expected that course titles and contents will be identical; rather, alignment of course contents is sufficient. The recognition of courses listed in a completed Learning Agreement, signed by the authorized representatives of both institutions and the participating student, is committed during the Erasmus+ University Charter application of the host higher education institution, and any deviation must be reported by the National Agency to the European Commission, which may result in the revocation of the institution's Charter. 

When selecting courses, a target of 30 ECTS credits per semester or 60 ECTS credits per year should be aimed for. Students who are deemed successful will have their period(s) of study abroad counted as if they were spent in Türkiye upon their return. Students who are deemed unsuccessful will resume their studies from where they left off before becoming an Erasmus+ student; however, they will be exempt from courses equivalent to the total credits of the successfully completed courses. 


What is a Learning Agreement? 

The Learning Agreement is a document that outlines the courses you will take at the host university along with their credits. It shows the courses you will take there. 


How should I select my courses? 

To select courses, please contact your Department Coordinator. 


Who can assist me with visa procedures? 

Immediately after being selected as an Erasmus+ student, contact the consulate of the country you will be visiting. Visa procedures and required documents vary depending on the country of exchange. Check the website of the relevant country's Embassy/Consulate. Make sure to complete all required documents. Providing a letter from the International Office stating that you are an Erasmus+ student and that you are provided with support in the form of a monthly grant amount as part of this program can facilitate the visa application process, especially for countries requiring proof of financial means. 


What is the Erasmus+ Student Charter? 

The Erasmus+ Student Charter, also known as the Erasmus+ öğrenci beyannamesi, is granted to students selected to spend an Erasmus+ period abroad by meeting the Erasmus+ eligibility criteria and being placed at an appropriate partner university for studies or for an internship at a company or another suitable organization. It outlines the rights and obligations of Erasmus+ students. 


Do I need to obtain the Erasmus+ Student Charter?  

Yes, it is essential to obtain the Erasmus+ Student Charter. 


Will there be arrangements for my reception upon arrival in the country I am traveling to?  

Whether you will receive assistance at airports, bus terminals, or train stations in the destination country is solely at the discretion of the host university. There are no binding regulations regarding this matter. 


Who arranges my accommodation for my Erasmus+ study period?    

It is not the responsibility the sending universities to arrange accommodation for students or university staff. Students who are selected as Erasmus+ students by our university also apply to the host institution for accommodation. During this application, an "accommodation form" is usually sent to the student by the host institution or information about accommodation possibilities (deadlines for dormitories, required documents, dormitory / accommodation fees, etc.). The Exchange Offices of the receiving institution can give you information and advice about where you can stay and accommodation possibilities at the university and in the city. You should follow the information provided about accommodation, and if no suitable option is offered, you should research your own accommodation options. 


Which health insurance should I get?    

Although each destination country has different requirements, you should choose the most comprehensive health insurance with international validity. It is recommended to learn the contents and coverage of the insurances from their headquarters. 


Do I have to pay my fees to my home university while I am abroad as an Erasmus+ student?    

Yes, you do. You have to pay tuition fees to your home university. However, you do not choose courses. 


Will I have to pay a registration fee at the university I go to?  

No, you will not. The receiving university does not charge any registration, examination or tuition fees to the student coming under the Erasmus+ program. However, additional payments may be requested for insurance, photocopies of academic materials, the use of various materials such as laboratory products, etc. 


Why is the orientation program important?  

  The orientation program provides practical information about the documents that exchange students need to prepare, the difficulties they may encounter and matters they should pay attention to. 


When I go abroad, will I be picked up and given an orientation program?  

  Like incoming students, outgoing students may be picked up and asked to attend an orientation program in their destination country. This is usually organized by the student organizations and clubs of the partner institution you are going to, and the Erasmus+ coordinators of the institution and other people responsible for the implementation of the program play an active role in this process. You should follow these and other details in the brochures and information notes sent by your host university before you leave Türkiye. 


May I make changes to the Learning Agreement?  

  Yes, you may. The courses you will take at the university you are matched with may not be offered, the course hours may not fit your schedule. In this case, you can make changes to your courses by contacting your department coordinator. However, the changes to be made in the learning agreement for various reasons must be made within 1 month at the latest following the start of the academic semester at the higher education institution the student will attend and must be approved by the authorities of the student's own higher education institution and the receiving higher education institution. You should also use the "Changes" pages of your learning agreement to make changes. 


Will the courses I took during the Erasmus+ study mobility period be recognized at my home university?  

  The procedures regarding the recognition of the courses and grade conversions of the students returning from the exchange are carried out by the academic coordinator of the department. 


What is the European Credit Transfer System ( ECTS)?  

  The European Credit Transfer System is an accreditation system used to facilitate academic recognition. It was developed by the European Union to simplify student mobility and guarantee that students' studies abroad are recognized in their home countries. 


How many ECTS credits of courses should I take?  

  A student who goes on exchange for 1 (one) academic year can take a maximum of 60 ECTS credits and a student who goes on exchange for 1 (one) semester can take a maximum of 30 ECTS credits. 


What is a Recognition Sheet?  

  The Academic Recognition Sheet shows which courses you have taken at the receiving university correspond to which courses at your own university. Fill in the academic recognition sheet together with your coordinator. 


What is the academic recognition certificate used for?  

  It allows the courses you have taken to be recognized after your return. 


I was selected as an Erasmus+ student for one academic semester. Can I extend my Erasmus+ mobility period?  

  Yes. Within the framework of the Erasmus+ Bilateral Agreement covering 1 academic semester, the student may wish to benefit from Erasmus+ in the 2nd semester after being an Erasmus+ student with a grant for the 1st semester. In this case, the written approval of both the department / faculty at OSTIM Technical University and the department / institution coordinator at the university abroad is required. If our university has any grants left, the student will be supported during the 2nd semester extension. If there is no grant available for the extension, the student can extend the Erasmus+ program without a grant, provided that they fulfill all the obligations of the Erasmus+ program. 


How much grant can I get if I am an Erasmus+ study mobility student?  

  The Erasmus+ grant is not intended to finance the entire exchange activity. It is only intended to cover the additional costs of the student's stay abroad. The grant amounts are determined by the European Commission and the National Agency in each contract period and are deposited into the accounts of higher education institutions by the National Agency in specific periods. 

Students are paid their grants in 2 installments. The installment rates are determined so that the first installment does not exceed 80% of the total grant. The first installment is paid if the grant has been sent by the National Agency before the student goes on the exchange. 

The grant is calculated according to the duration of the exchange period specified in the invitation received from the destination university before going abroad. However, the final grant payment to the student will be made on the basis of the dates on the Certificate of Attendance that will be brought at the end of the exchange. 


Do I have to pay any fees to participate in the Erasmus+ Intensive Language Course?  

No. However, you may be asked to pay for optional extra activities such as field trips during the course. 


Will the Erasmus+ grant be enough for my stay abroad?  

  The Erasmus+ grant is SUPPORT for the additional costs incurred by the student while abroad during the Erasmus+ study period. It does not aim to cover all costs that may arise during the study period and is not sufficient for this purpose. The student must be financially supported by hıs or her own resources and family during the study period. Please note that the Erasmus+ grant is not a salary. 


Apart from the Erasmus+ grant, is there an additional allowance for accommodation, travel and visa costs?  

  No, the Erasmus+ grant is limited to the monthly grant amounts determined according to the countries. Our Coordination Office does not provide any allowances beyond this. 


Can I still benefit from the Erasmus+ program with a grant even though I have a scholarship in Türkiye?  

Yes, you can benefit from the Erasmus+ program with a grant while you have a scholarship in your home country. 


Will my scholarships be cut if I become an Erasmus+ student?  

  No, being an Erasmus+ student does not interrupt any scholarship.  Your scholarship will continue to be paid while you are abroad. This is because the financial support from Erasmus+ is not actually a scholarship. Erasmus+ is not a scholarship program. 


Can I change the duration of my exchange? 

Yes. You can extend the duration of your exchange period before applying, during the application, or after the start of the exchange process. The extension of the period is realized by the student applying in writing to the Erasmus+ Institutional Coordinator of their own higher education institution and obtaining approval from the coordinator of the higher education institution they will go to. If the extension request is accepted, the student can extend the exchange period for two academic semesters or one academic year. The courses taken during the extended period are recognized and accepted by the higher education institution of the student. 


It may be beneficial to apply for an extension several terms in advance, which can facilitate planning and make arrangements more efficient. 

Can I benefit from staff mobility activities under the agreements of another higher education institution? 

No, each student and staff member can only participate in Erasmus mobility activities through their own higher education institution. 


Can I personally benefit from the Erasmus program without the involvement of my university? 

No. The Erasmus program is an institutional activity area. You can only benefit from the Erasmus program through the higher education institution where you are employed. 


Who can assist me with visa procedures? 

Visa procedures are the responsibility of the beneficiaries. Visa procedures can be challenging for Turkish students due to Türkiye's candidate country status. During the application, it is essential to ensure that all required documents announced by the consulate or embassy of the country to be visited are completed. 


Can I choose the country or university I will go to? 

Under Erasmus Staff Mobility, you can only go to partner universities abroad with which your university has agreements. However, expressing your preferences to individuals authorized to make bilateral agreements at your university can facilitate bilateral agreements with universities in the country you desire. Training Mobility does allow for a private institution can also be chosen. 


Who can benefit from staff training mobility activities? 

Academic and administrative staff of higher education institutions can participate in this activity to develop themselves in their fields of work and share experiences with other European colleagues. 


How long can I stay under the Erasmus Program? 

To be considered a valid activity for staff teaching mobility, it is mandatory to teach at least 5 teaching hours. However, to make a meaningful contribution to international academic life, it is recommended by the EU Commission to carry out 5 working days of teaching mobility, excluding travel times. 


What is a Bilateral Agreement? 

It is an agreement for the exchange of students (associate degree, undergraduate, graduate, doctoral) and/or academic staff, lasting one year or longer, between two universities within the framework of the Erasmus program. 


What should I pay attention to in documents? 

Filling it completely, the date, signature, name, and if necessary, the stamp(s). 


What documents should I submit before going? 

The Teaching Program, Erasmus Staff Training Program, Acceptance Letter, Academic Calendar, Plane Ticket, and Board of Directors.